Dex Love Of Story Origins

The Assignment.  Write about the the origins of your love for stories? About someone or something in your life that made you love language and the magic of stories. Word limit: 200 words.

Draft 1

24 Jun 21 - Words 194



*******************





I remember my dad reciting long poems by Robert Service when we were confined in the car on interminable road trips to ski Mammoth Mountain, California. The Cremation of Sam McGee. The Shooting of Dan McGrew. And others like The Face on the Barroom Floor.  I loved the stories. Later I memorized Service poems, Casey At The Bat, The Night Before Christmas, and more.  Not “literary poems.“ Story poems.

I remember music lyrics that tell stories. Musicals like The Sound of Music and Oklahoma.


Plus old rock ‘n’ roll, folk, and country story-songs. Johnny B Goode. John Henry. Me and Bobby McGee. Folsom Prison Blues. The Gambler.  Colorado Rocky Mountain High. Darcy Farrow.  American Pie.  Now Toby Keith… Not As Good As I Once Was.


I remember Mrs. Nelson in fifth grade reading to us after lunch recess. Especially “The Jinx Ship“ by Howard Pease.  She sparked my love of books and libraries.  Fiction.  Always Fiction.  Adventure. Mystery. Horror.  Romance. Sports.  Any genre provided the characters jump to life and the story grabs me by the throat and won’t let go.


This is the origin of my love of stories.  In a word: eclectic.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Intergalactic Gold Ball

Faith In Me? Really?